All the photos on this website were taken by me in the city of New Brunswick, NJ, USA. Hopefully, you will find them interesting.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Eid: post prayer


Here's the last from my series of Eid photos from this past Monday. This is the inside of ISCJ mosque right after Eid prayer. Men and women pray in two separate groups in the same room, but guess who gets stuck with most of the kids? The women, how typical. This causes lots of extra commotion in the women's section. The kids LOVE to run around on the empty carpets. I have to admit, I did it too, when I was a kid... it was too tempting. Also adding to the chaos is the fact that you must take off your shoes and put them outside the main room before you pray. After a big prayer like this, there's a lot of confused people walking around with one shoe. It's quite a thing to go from a room full of hundreds silently praying in one unified movement, to a mass of people chattering and looking for their shoes.

It is not forbidden to take photos in a mosque, but those who disapprove always make it known, so that's why this photo is blurred. Still, I think it captures some of the backstage mayhem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Olivier said...

La fin de la priere.

Il y a beaucoup de gens qui se sont plains que tu prennent des photos ?

J'ais pas encore essaye dans la grande mosqué d'Evry, juste des photos d'exterieurs, il faut que je fasse une demande.

End of the prayer.
There are many people who are lime pits that you take of the photographs ?
I board not yet tests in the large mosque of Evry, just of the photographs of outsides, it is necessary that I make a request.

5:10 AM

 
Blogger Sadia said...

I have not had any real trouble with anyone over taking photos inside a mosque, (but my brother was asked to stop video taping in one once). I think it's a good idea to ask the Imam, (he is the head of the mosque), if it would be alright to take and publish a photo. Most Imams are only too happy to have people interested in their mosque. I think he will appreicate your intent. Good luck, Olivier, and let me know how it goes!

3:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home